Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Star Struck

Hi all,
I hope everyone had a lovely Easter and got the chance to spend some time with family, friends and lets not forget - eat some chocolate. All of that happened in our house and I managed to get a few of those stray lurking "I should do one day" jobs done too.

OK I confess I also managed to fit a bit of stamping too. I split that between two tasks, firstly I'm slowly making progress with constructing swaps for convention and secondly a challenge card for this week. Makeesha Byl posted a colour challenge this week and the colours definately leaned towards the masculine, although having said that I have seen some very nice "girly" cards done for the challenge - go check out the DT offerings! Here are the colours.
You know I don't think I can even remember exactly what triggered the concept for this card, I do remember somewhere in blog land seeing someone recently use the Classic Stars wheel for a birthday card. I certainly have in the past - in fact it often makes an appearance on cards for my DH since he is by profession a "star gazer". Anyway this was the result.
A close up of the sueded Caramel star
The inside

I started with a Brocade Blue base, then a Chocolate Chip layer, the top panel is Very Vanilla wheeled with the Classic Stars wheel in Brocade Blue. I distressed the edges on both the Choc Chip and Vanilla layers and also sponge daubered in both Choc Chip and Brocade Blue around the edges of the Vanilla panel. I decided to have a play with Circle Scissors plus, I'm still learning to perfect the cuts but what fun and so easy too! So using that I made a focal point for the card. First I punched out a large star in Creamy Carmel, then sueded it, so it has a nice subtle furry texture. Then layered a little Brocade Blue star to go over the top. The final touch a little star brad. I adhered the stars onto a circle, cut from some extra Vanilla cardstock I'd already wheeled and then cut a Choc Chip hoop to go over the top of the star circle to act as a frame. Then I stamped the sentiment, punched it out and mounted it on dimensionals at the bottom of the star element. The star focal was mounted over some wide stitched Choc Chip grosgrain ribbon layered with a strip of crimped Creamy Caramel to add a little more texture.

So pretty easy but I had fun with this one and was pretty happy with how it turned out - given the stars it might just end up going my DH way again :)

Thanks for visiting,
Kim

Recipe: All SU! unless otherwise specified
Stamps: Classic Stars, Teeny Tiny Sentiments
Cardstock: Brocade Blue, Chocolate Chip, Very Vanilla, Creamy Caramel
Ink: Brocade Blue, Chocolate Chip
Accessories: Circle Scissors Plus, Large and small star punches, Word window punch, Crimper, Sponge Daubers, 1" Double Stitched Chocolate Chip Grosgrain ribbon, Cutter Kit, Star brad (Paper Mill), Dimensionals, SNAIL adhesive, Double sided tape.

6 comments:

  1. Just gorgeous. Love how you have used the colours. Love the felt look on the stars too.

    Liam

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great guys card! I like all your details, the crimping & little silver star brad especially.

    Lee x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantastic male card Kim! The suede star is great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. this is a gorgeous card. Love that its pretty but blokey at the same time. Great Job. love the stars.
    Gardenia

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very nice card! I love the star wheel, it is one of my fave wheels.
    Kirsty

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment!