Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Something old something new


Hi there all,

back this week with another combined challenge. I decided to use the colour combo that Makeesha Byl posted as her challenge this week together with the Just add Ink vintage challenge. See Keesh colour pic below and do go check out the DT examples for both challenges they are just awesome!


The colour combo said boy to me and at first I was thinking of a birthday card, but having just found out a recently that a friend is expecting a baby boy I had babies on my mind. Then when I put babies and vintage together I decided to try and put together a vintage pram gift "box". So here it is.


I started by cutting out two scallop circle using my BigZ die, then I cut out a bit less than a quarter to give the pram shape. Then I "vintaged" the scallops up by first stamping with Linen and then EnFrancais (both stamped off once first), lastly I sponged all the way around the edges - all with Bashful Blue. I made up the template for the pram body, on the run so to speak. I wanted it to be big enough so that you could tuck a little gift in there (some baby socks or choccies for Mum) although you might want to reinforce the wheels depending on the load. So its about 2 inches wide, and I made sure I had a little hood as part of the inside box too. I stamped all over the box body with Linen and En Francais and then stuck it all together with sticky strip. Remembering to add some Red grosgrain as the "hand" of the pram. Some pleated red grosgrain on top of the hood finished off the box. Next I stamped the baby stamp from Punches Three in Real Red and just sponged around with Red and Old Olive, added some star brads and Old Olive branches as a bit of a garland, then stuck that onto the pram with dimensionals. Lastly the wheels, I punched out four Real Red circles, used my bone folder to score, a bit of spoke pattern onto each and then added a large green button, tied with linen thread on. I attached the wheels using sticky strip.

I must admit I was really happy with the end result (and so are my kids they have been trying to steal off with it to play ever since I finished it).

My exploration of 3D will continue Thursday this week when I am part of an ESAD Mothers Day Blog Hop so please tune back in then.

Thanks for visiting,

Kim

Recipe: All SU! unless otherwise noted
Stamps: Punches Three, En Francais, Linen (R)
Cardstock: Bashful Blue, Real Red, Old Olive, Whisper White
Ink: Bashful Blue, Real Red, Old Olive
Accessories: Scallop Circle BigZ die, Two Step Bird Punch, Wide Oval Punch, 1 3/8 inch circle punch, Wide Real Red grosgrain ribbon, Star Brads (The Paper Mill), Ripe Avocado buttons (PaperTrey Inc), Linen thread, sponge, Dimensionals, Sticky strip, bone folder

11 comments:

  1. Oh this sooo adorable. the colours work so well together! TFS. Cheers Donna zammit

    ReplyDelete
  2. How cute and clever of you to make this little pram. It's adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cute. We must have been on the same wavelength of baby stuff for the challenge. Fantastic project. Love it

    Liam

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, this is so sweet - such a clever creation. Great job with the colour challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is so cute! I love the red with the blue. The way you've used it is so striking. Thanks for playing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, you're certainly clever! What a great idea, and it looks stunning. Thanks for playing at Just Add Ink!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cool Cool Cool. I love it. Chantell

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is just sooo cute!! It would have taken quite a lot of work and you have done a fabulous job!Fantastic!!
    Kirsty

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fab little creation, love it! Thanks for sharing.

    Alex from England x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Aww, Kim, this box is the most adorable baby project ever! Well done! Love the sentiment set you paired it with - it adds the perfect touch to your project!

    TFS,
    Cindy :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment!