Monday, January 18, 2010

An Amethyst Anniversary


Hi there,

I had two key inspirations for this card. Firstly I saw a striking card by Nancy Riley using this tent card format – that was the first time I really remember seeing a card like this. BTW I loooove that Dasher stamp – sadly we don’t have it here in AUS. The other inspiration was this card by Kirsty Brown, I really loved how she combined Upsy Daisy with Pocket Silhouettes.

So this card was my take on combining these two inspirations and it was for a special occasion, my Mum and Dad’s anniversary. This was a 50+ years anniversary for them – so they are well and truly beyond Amethyst but I used some artistic licence with the title.

A side view that gives you a glimpse of the inside

I started by looking up the tent card tutorial on Splitcoasters. I decided to go with a combo of (predominantly) Almost Amethyst and Close to Cocoa. So I cut a base of Almost Amethyst, (scalloping the bottom front edge prior to cutting the final length) and layered that with some Amethyst DSP from a promo pack in 2008 (?). The final touches to the base was some lovely wide retired Choc Chip satin ribbon (but I always felt that the colour was a better match to Cocoa). I’m not a big bow person but I decided to try and I must admit it did look nice. The final touch to the base was to stamp the sentiment, in Choc Chip, direct onto the Amethyst in DSP- I wanted it to be clear but not dominate the card – the top image panel is really what I wanted to feature.

OK now the image panel. I coloured direct to rubber with my markers for the Upsy Daisy stamp. Close to Cocoa for all the stems, a layer of Almost Amethyst over the flowers then highlights with Lovely Lilac, I blended those two colours using a blender pen. Then a lot of huffing on the stamp later I stamped it on Whisper White. To give it a setting I stamped one of my Pocket Silhouette stamps repeatedly below. I did stamp, the Close to Cocoa ink off once each time before stamping – so they didn’t over power the Upsy Daisy image. The finishing touch was to add a butterfly to fly above the flowers. So I inked up my butterfly in Almost Amethyst gently rock and rolling the edges in Lovely Lilac and stamped it on Whisper White. After punching it out, I was able to attach it using dimensionals, adding a purple rhinestone on the body to just bling it up a little. Having stamped the image I got out my circle nestabilites selected about the biggest size that would be appropriate for the top of the tent card (remember it has to fit in a standard card envelope). I cut the image out, then added a plain frame (I did do this before adding the butterfly!) in Close to Cocoa and then finished with a scalloped circle border in Almost Amethyst.

I was really happy with how it turned out, and importantly Mum and Dad liked it too!

Thanks for visiting,

Kim

Recipe: All SU unless other wise noted
Stamps: Upsy Daisy, Pocket Silhouettes,
Cardstock: Almost Amethyst, Close to Cocoa, Whisper White
Ink: Almost Amethyst, Lovely Lilac, Whisper White, Close to Cocoa, Chocolate Chip
Accessories: Circle nestabilities (standard and scalloped), wide satin Chocolate Chip ribbon (R), Scalloped Edge punch, Almost Amethyst DSP, Purple rhinestone (Kaiser), dimensionals, SNAIL adhesive.

4 comments:

  1. I love Amethyst and Chocolate together - such a yummy, elegant combo! Your card is absolutely lovely!

    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW.. kim this is a STUNNER.. Bec xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kim - this is just gorgeous! I'm lovin that colour combo!!!

    Karen
    x

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment!