Saturday, August 10, 2019

Christmas Deer



Hello there,
it's not often I pull something out of my unpublished archives but with no DT post live this week I decided this was a great chance to show you one of my felt projects, especially as the die I used is still current in the latest SU! catalogue. Using your dies to cut felt is no different than cutting paper, I use exactly the same sandwich as I do to cut cardstock. 

Each year I select a die and make a felt Christmas ornament for family and friends. Last year I knew it was going to be a deer! Here's some of my 2018 Christmas deer's. 





I used a mix of grey and brown pure wool felts (purchased off Etsy), and also mixed up the embroidery threads colours that I used, sometimes to blend in and sometimes to create a contrast. Mostly I used two strands of the six ply embroidery thread for the stitching.

To create your own, cut two felt deers, then start by stitching the antlers together. I used backstitch for my deers, that is a bit tricky on the antlers but you can always slip your needle between the two layers and come up in the new spot for next antler branch. Don't forget to add your little eye beads to each deer before begining the body. Next using backstitch I stitched the two deer layers together, making sure to stitch in the hanger, once you are about two-thirds of the way around push a little poly fill in using something small and pointy. Once you have gone all the way around reverse and fill in your back stitch. I finished off my deers using a little scrap of red felt as a scarf and some little silver bells (retired SU! from my stash). Then loop some thread through the hanger and you're done!

What I love about creating felt ornaments is that they are the kind of gift that keeps giving, as each year the recipient can hang this on their Christmas tree and get joy from it over and over again.

Thanks for visiting,
Kim


Project Recipe:
To see and order any items used in today's project, just click on the items below to see them in my Online Store. You can order from me if you live anywhere in Australia. I would love to be your Demonstrator if you don't already have one. Please allow "Demonstrator contact" in your preferences so I can thank you properly when you place your order.

Product List





No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment!