Friday, July 21, 2017

JAI #369 Inspiration


Hello there,
well it was back to school this week. We have a schedule again (that's good!) but it has been hectic moving back into that work/ school balance. Luckily, I was able to pull my project for this week's Just Add Ink project out of the bag so to speak. My nephew had a milestone birthday during the holidays and I made a special interactive card for him that was inspired by the Just Add Inspiration challenge suggested by Rochelle. Here's the pic.



I created one big balloon on the front of his card. I did say interactive didn't I, the push is a hint ;)



This was challenging to photograph but I'm hoping you can see the glow of light behind the numbers. I tried my hand at making a circuit with Chibi lights and found it pretty easy and a lot of fun!


The inside was finished off with a smaller balloon.


There are a couple things I learnt putting this together. Firstly, you need a double height of dimensionals otherwise your card front will push your circuit closed, without you even pushing it! Secondly, did you see that white tab of cardstock in the top photo? That was a nifty tip I read about leaving a gap in your SNAIL or double sided tape edging so you can slip that tab in between the battery and the copper tape that will close the circuit. While that is tab is in there you can put the card in an envelope, and mail it and it won't switch on until you remove the tab. Last tip, I was originally going to back my numbers with vellum but you could actually see the copper tape and LED lights through it. Using Whisper White instead proved to be the perfect solution, you could clearly the light but none of the mechanics.

The JAI DT have a wonderful array of inspirational projects for the challenge this week, do make sure you go check them all out. Hope you can join us!

Thanks for visiting,
Kim

Recipe: All SU! unless otherwise noted
Stamps: Diagonal Stripe, Thoughtful Banners, Number of Years, Calendar Alphabet & Numbers (R)
Cardstock: Pacific Point, Daffodil Delight, Whisper White
Ink: Pacific Point, Bermuda Bay, Pool Party, Versamark, Tuxedo Black (Memento)
Accessories: Stitched Shapes framelits, Large Number framelits, Duet Banner punch, Balloon framelits (R), Dynamic Stitched Basic Edges (My Favourite Things), Chibi Lights, Clear embossing powder, Basic Black baker's twine, Sponge brayer, Dimensionals, Tear and tape
SaveSave

7 comments:

  1. Having seen this little masterpiece in the flesh I know just how special it is. You did a wonderful job using the little chibi lights & creating an awesome card for your nephew's milestone. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, wow, Kim! This is so amazing, and perfect for a special birthday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brilliant card Kim, love this idea

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fabulous card Kim! I was just talking to a friend about these light circuits recently. I'd love to try them!!! Kelly x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, Kim this absolutely brilliant! I love your "close up" feel to the balloon and the light up effect am sure would be amazing IRL. Your colours are so bright and cheerful and I love the mini me balloon on the inside too. xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I bet your nephew was impressed with this bright and fabulous and interactive card. It's funny that your kid are going back to school - here in England the school holidays have just begun, so we've had two days of rain!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is awesome Kim. I love the idea of the Chiba lights, such a fun detail for a special card. Xx

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment!