Friday, January 28, 2011

Just add Ink 53 - Just add inspiration

Hello there,

welcome back to another Just Add Ink challenge. Our challenge this week just brings a smile to my face because it feels so happy, its......an inspiration challenge using the photo below and to add bright bursts of colour.







Flowers obviously spring to mind, especially this time of year down under - that combined with upcoming birthday festivities - did I mention that Miss almost Six's birthday is in one more sleep?? :) With both of those in mind I remembered a fabulous project a lovely SU! friend of mine (Di Barnes) posted last year and decided to have go at that. To be honest I was tempted to do a straight CASE of Di's project (you can see it here) as I thought it was gorgeous (and I even had the Bloom die cuts) But in the end I decided to do my spin on it - so what am I going on about - think sweet treat flower wands!



I started by punching out a 1 3/4" circle and using dotto to stick that down to some Whisper White cardstock, then I inked up my large petal and stamped around the punched circle. (This was my solution for mimimising cutting instead of each individual petal I cut out the whole flower). For the large petals I discovered it was best to stamp a couple of mm's out from the punched circle. For the smaller petal it was best to stamp as close to the edge of the punched circle. After stamping three large petal circles in Daffodil Delight and three in Melon Mambo, and small petals circle in Daffodil Deight, Melon Mambo, Pumpkin Pie and Orchid Opulence I trimmed them out from the larger sheet of cardstock. Now the 1 3/4" circle punch has no trouble reaching into the middle of the smaller petal flower but couldn't reach into the middle of the larger petal circle (My solution was to use a 1 3/4 circle die I had to cut the middle out).


OK now it was time to assemble, I placed a large petal flower over a sweet treat cup (I usually add a bit of Tombow on the cup rim so that my flower would stay in place), then used my piercing tool to make a hole, then pushed a wooden skewer up into the sweet treat cup. Having added dimensionals to the back of the smaller petal flower I then add that to the sweet treat cup (over the skewer). All there is to do then is to tie on a long length of green ribbon (for leaves), fill the cup with something yummy and colourful (Smarties) and then adhere another die cut circle over the back of the cup to keep the sweets in. Now my next challenge will be to come up with a boys alternative - I'm thinking stars....

The flowers wands definitely met with approval from my Miss almost 6 so it looks like they will be part of the party loot.

Thanks for visiting and don't forget if you have time why don't you join in the challenge too this week.

Kim

Recipe: All SU! unless otherwise noted
Stamps: Something Sweet, A Little Treat
Cardstock: Whisper White
Ink: Daffodil Delight, Pumpkin Pie, Melon Mambo, Orchid Opulence (R)
Accessories: Sweet Treat cups, wooden skewers, 1 3/4" circle punch, 1 3/4" circle die (PaperTrey Inc - Limitless Layers 1 3/4"), Circle nestabilities, Tombow, Dimensionals, Green satin ribbon (craft store)

10 comments:

  1. WOW!!! That bouquet is absolutely sensational!! Love the bright, cheery colours. You are making me wish I had bought the stamp set and treat cups to make one for myself!

    TFS!
    Cindy :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definitely a WOW! Love how you have made your own bouquet of bright, yummy flowers!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aww these are SO cute!!! What a fab idea!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So beautiful Kim. Not surprised Miss 6 approved!

    :-)
    Sam.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! I just love your creations! I haven't visited your blog in a while so I've just had a big catch-up - and I have to say that I love all your colour schemes, your ideas, and your balance of perfectionism and creativity! Keep it coming!! :D
    These sweet treat wands are awesome too - my girls would love it...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous Kim! I love these flowers, so bright, so fun! Love those beautiful big Satin bows too.

    A super duper happy birthday to Miss Six! How super duper exciting.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You certainly have the WOW factor happening with this lovely bunch of paper creations. Miss 6 is going to love them!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fabulous Kim!! I think I'll be CASing these for my little girl's party - thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. they are so cute, they would be a hit at any little girls party,great alternative to lollie bags , so creative

    ReplyDelete
  10. They are stunning... where can I find a big flower stamp now! ;)
    HAve a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment!