Friday, July 20, 2012

JAI 127 Just add a colour combo



Hello there,
well this week at Just Add Ink we have a challenge with a choice for you!  We want you to add Black and White and one other colour of your choice - sounds fun eh?
I seem to be turning a lot to black, red and white (or vanilla) as a favoured colour combination - but then it is one that's hard to go past, as it has such an elegant feel. In this particular instance my red was Riding Hood Red pulled from the Twitterpated DSP. So here is what I came up with - a new card fold for me - a bit fiddly but the end result is pretty special! Here it is.

Opening up

The inside
I saw this type of card demoed at our recent convention (by Pam Morgan, SU home office) and was intrigued by the idea of using my framelits in a different way. My initial investigations informed me that I was actually going to need three pieces, two with the edges shaped by the framelit and the last that forms the base. (I discovered even a 12" long piece of cardstock is not long enough to get a full length card base and then the overlap to close.) So having worked that all out I started cutting out layers, edges and framelit layers for the focal point. Next was to sponge around all the edges to add some vintagey depth and I also used markers to ink up the large blossom branch to stamp the inside. Then time to assemble it all. The only tricky bit here is to plan where you want the two fasteners to be. Then I made sure that the brad prongs and fastening twine were all secured between the DSP and cardstock mats so that the final finish is clean.

The outcome is pretty special, and very fun to open but tricky to photograph ;)

Thanks for visiting,
Kim

Recipe: All SU! unless otherwise noted
Stamps: Apothecary Art, Elements of Style
Cardstock: Basic Black, Whisper White, Riding Hood Red
Ink: Basic Black, Riding Hood Red, just a smidge of Crumb Cake
Accessories: Labels Collection Framelits, Perfect Polka Dots embossing folder, Twitterpated DSP, Vintage brads, Victoria lace, Cherry Cobler seam binding, Cherry Cobler twine, Double sided tape, SNAIL adhesive, Dimensionals

5 comments:

  1. Kim, it is amazing. What a clever cookie you are. I wish I had the patience to try a new card layout. I should bite the bullet and give them a go. I love this card!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been waiting to see this project in it's entirety, it's gorgeous Kim. Your use of the framelits and brad closure is such a lovely effect and the beautiful interior stamping is a lovely suprise!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is such an awesome project and it looks stunning in your choice of colours. Maybe a tutorial ... ????

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous, gorgeous, gorgeous Kim. Love your choice of paper & the fold looks fantastic like this. Hugs. D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh I love everything about this one Kim - they're my favourite colours and I just love the vintagey feel of it!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment!